Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Kodachrome Processing Quality

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I'm about to make my first Kodachrome purchase in almost a year because I'm starting a color project. Since Kodak has announced it's new Processing Included option, I'm kind of tempted to go that way and not use Dwayne's.

    I want to make the decision purely on the quality of results that people who shoot a lot more film than me have experienced lately.

    The question for the members of the group is this: Leaving all other issues out, who gives you better quality results, Kodak or Dwayne's?

    (don't care about turnaround time or cost per roll, just nice looking film processed carefully)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have had satisfactory results with both. I haven't had problems with any Kodachrome I have shot. I haven't used Kodak in a while because of the turn around.

    Good Luck

    PS--I too will be buying the film/mailers next time I put in an order.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I haven't used Kodak for processing. I just got a roll back from Walmart via Dwayne's, and it was great. Since Dwayne's gets the chemicals and licensing to process Kodachrome from Kodak, I assume the processing would be similar. I also think they have to periodically send Kodak samples of their chemicals as a quality control check. Neither place cleans or lubricates the films after processing, so it's always possible to get a roll back with dirt and water spots...according to Dwayne's, this can be removed by cleaning the film. Via Walmart, it took my roll about 2 weeks to get back from Dwayne's..about the same reported turnaround time from Kodak. Since you can order the film from Kodak with free processing, I would probably go with that. I intend on periodically sending Dwayne's some film, just to show them that Kodachrome processing in the USA is still needed! Mike

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Another point...a roll I sent to Dwayne's about a month ago came back inundated with dirt and water spots..Alex from the super 8 digital forum emailed Dwayne's our forum conversations, and a very nice quality control guy emailed back that they would watch the problem...(also mentioned their chemist was on maternity leave!!) Well, my next roll was fine...as I previously mentioned, neither place cleans the films anymore after processing, I am getting some film cleaning materials soon, and I will be cleaning the roll to see if it comes off. Mike

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Points well made..they may indeed get their chemistry from another source. Per their website,
    they do participate in a "Kodak Kodachrome Monitoring Program"..where according to them, they send data reports on their chemistry to Kodak for analysis, and Dwayne's does employ a chemist...so there must be some kind of quality control going on over there! mike

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just because Dwayne's does a K-14 process doesn't mean that they get their chemistry from Kodak.

    Nor, does it mean that they are accountable to Kodak for quality control. I don't know what other stocks if any are K-14 process but I do know that the chemistry can be found without going to Kodak. On second thought--the dyes might be hard to get your hands on but I am sure they could be found with out going through Kodak.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member jefury's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2001
    Posts
    114
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I heard this from other forums, that if you send your Kodachrome directly to Switzerland, you'll get it back much faster, than sending it to Toronto or something like that.

    Jeffery

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •